The first and most important step before you buy skincare products is to identify and understand your skin type so that you can begin a healthy skincare routine. While each person has different triggers for sensitive skin reactions, some are almost always similar such as itching, dry patches, flushing, stinging, or tight skin sensations due to allergic reactions to fragrance and alcohol-based skincare products.
You may also have sensitive skin if it reacts excessively after using cosmetics, soap, shampoo, or sunscreen lotion. Unlike sensitized skin, which is acquired through lifestyle factors and can be mitigated, naturally-occurring sensitive skin is genetic, and while you can't change it, experts in all-things-skincare recommend avoiding all skincare products with the following ingredients;
• Steer clear from skincare products that contain too many unidentifiable ingredients
• Some products may be labeled "natural", including essential oils; however, some oils are known to contain potent irritants that are harsh for sensitive skin.
• Avoid skin care products that contain alcohol, sulfates, fragrances, synthetic additives, etc., as these ingredients are known to dehydrate sensitive skin.
• Use dermatologically-tested, cruelty-free, hypoallergenic products made specifically for sensitive skin.
• Do not expose your skin to too much hot water as it makes it dry and flaky; instead, use lukewarm water to mitigate this.
• Read skin care product labels and perform a skin test if unsure of the ingredients within.
RECOMMENDED SKINCARE INGREDIENTS FOR SENSITIVE SKIN
One surefire way to ensure that you minimize adverse reactions to skincare products is to ensure that the moisturizer, toner, scrub, mask, or serum is designed for sensitive skin and contain the following safe ingredients:
1. BLACKBERRY: A toner or deep cleanser containing summertime gems like blackberries will help mitigate breakouts and regenerate the skin. They contain vitamin C and a class of antioxidants that help fight free radicals.
2. POMEGRANATE: The antioxidant, antimicrobial, and polyphenol properties of pomegranate give facial skincare products protective qualities and superior nourishing abilities that support cell regeneration. This effectively reduces the appearance of wrinkles, sun damage, and inflammation from free radicals.
3. ROSEMARY: A soap-free shaving gel containing this all-natural ingredient is powerfully calming for sensitive conditions like skin allergies, eczema, and acne. Its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antifungal properties also help alleviate signs of premature aging.
4. WALNUT: The presence of potassium, omega-3, and 9-fatty acids in an exfoliating facial scrub will help purify skin pores for age-defying, younger and healthful-looking skin.
5. GREEN TEA: Men with sensitive skin should use green tea shaving and facial products because, besides being a powerful antioxidant for warding off free radical damage, green tea's antibacterial properties are beneficial for treating acne, unclogging pores, and keeping skin clear.
6. BLACK TEA: Moisturizers, toners, scrubs, face masks, and cleansers that contain antioxidant-rich black tea may help prevent wrinkles, purify pores, clear dark spots, clear acne, and inflammation.
7. VITAMIN C - Also called L-Ascorbic Acid, vitamin C-based skincare products have been shown to help protect skin from hyperpigmentation. The nutrients in vitamin C moisturizing serums help prevent UV damage and free radicals, allowing you to age gracefully.
8. SHEA BUTTER: Its high moisture content and skin-penetrating ability make Shea butter one of the most versatile skincare ingredients that protect the skin from UV damage, stretch marks, acne scars, reduce razor bumps promotes hair growth.
9. HYALURONIC ACID: Hyaluronic-based skincare products are beneficial in scar and wound repair and has become popular in anti-aging skincare products as it stimulates collagen production.
10. LACTIC ACID: Skincare cleansers, toners, and moisturizers that contain Lactic acid are beneficial for skin-resurfacing as the acid helps breaks down dead skin cells to make way for a healthy, new skin layer.
There isn't a one-size-fits-all type of approach to skin care; however, with the right product ingredients and adhering to a healthy skincare routine; you can relieve any sensitive skin issues you may have. Contact us if you need help identifying the right skincare product ingredients for your skin needs.