Aging is an inevitable part of life. While genetics, stress, and lifestyle habits may be factors that influence how fast you age, there are steps you can take to mitigate the markers of physiological aging. Consider the following anti-aging tips for men:
1. USE SPF-30 SUNSCREEN
The sun is the biggest culprit of accelerated aging. UV rays cause uneven pigmentation, sun spots, reduced skin elasticity, skin degradation, etc. Applying sunscreen regularly shields the skin from adverse effects of UV, UVA, UVB, and IR radiations. Sunscreen also minimizes the appearance of age spots, uneven skin tone, and dark spots.
2. FEED THE SKIN
It takes an average of 25 to 45 days for your skin to renew itself, and depending on your age, your food patterns and choices may speed up skin aging. A diet rich in healthy fats, fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, A, B3, E, K, and Selenium can promote collagen production and keep the skin firm and plump.
In addition to water, fruits like watermelon, avocado, berries, grapefruit, and oranges, contain vitamin C, Oleic acid, and Lycopene, known to stave off UV damage and prevent wrinkles and age-related skin dryness. Aim to drink eight glasses of fruit-infused water to stay hydrated.
4. WORKOUT AND RESTFUL SLEEP
No matter how old you are, you can slow down the aging process at the genetic level with high-impact workout, resistance training, cardio workouts, taking up reaction sports like racquetball, etc. Sleep deprivation can potentially lead to Human Growth Hormone deficiencies. These cause weak bones, decreased muscle mass, sagging skin, and other signs of aging such as under-eye wrinkles, weakened immunity, type II diabetes, aching joints, etc.
Aim for 7 to 8 hours of sleep per night to power the mind and restore virtually every system in your body.
5. LIMIT ALCOHOL AND SMOKING
Alcohol is a diuretic that dehydrates the skin and promotes the formation of free radicals. Wrinkles, collagen damage, sagging skin, skin staining, etc., are examples of the toll the toxins in cigarettes take on your skin. Not only does smoking speed up skin aging, but it also constricts the skin, makes it look dull, dry, and full of wrinkles. Hydrating, eating healthy foods, quitting smoking, and watching your alcohol intake will result in healthy and youthful-looking skin.
6. INVEST IN GOOD SKINCARE PRODUCTS
The delicate, protective layer that covers your skin, known as the hydrolipidic film, can be easily damaged through aging or with the use of harsh cleansers. It's, therefore, vital to invest in the right skincare products that protect the skin against free radicals, ideally with the following organic ingredients;
• Green Tea — Besides being a gentle and safe skincare ingredient for any skin type, green tea-enriched products like shaving cream contain powerful antioxidants that prevent visible skin lifestyle-related aging, redness, acne, and puffiness.
• Black Tea — A cup of black tea for inner health flushes out toxins from the body and keeps you energized. Use a facial exfoliator and cleanser that's chock-full of black tea antioxidants and polyphenols to help prevent premature aging, remove pigmentation and blemishes. Did you know that black tea can be used as a toner to keep your skin clean or eliminate dark eye circles?
• Vitamin C — In addition to aiding protection from UV damage, a Vitamin C-enriched shaver, toner, or serum boosts the natural production of collagen for a healthy complexion that's devoid of fine lines.
• Hyaluronic Acid — Skincare products that contain hyaluronic acid can help increase skin moisture, elasticity, firmness, as well as reduce the appearance of fine lines, crow's feet, and wrinkles.
• Shea Butter — Thanks to its high concentration of essential vitamins and fatty acids, Shea Butter has been used as a skincare product for centuries. It is rapidly absorbed into dry skin to leave it feeling smooth and well-conditioned.
Taking care of your skin is just as important as exercising, eating right, and getting restorative sleep each night. Contact us for more information on how to treat your skin right.