As a man, you do your best to eat healthy, stay in shape and keep a fairly decent style. But, what many men fail to do is use the most basic, essential skin care product each day — moisturizer. Why is this? Even if your skin is oily, you should moisturize your skin daily, making it a part of your regular skin care routine.
The Importance of Men Moisturizing Daily Even with Oily Skin
The skin becomes oily when you have excess (or an overproduction) of sebum (natural oils). Everyone has a certain level of oil in their skin. You have a sebaceous gland under your pores that produces sebum. But, certain people's sebaceous glands produce too much of this natural oil, leading to oily skin.
If your skin is oily and prone to acne, you might cringe at the thought of applying a slick moisturizer layer. However, while it might seem counter-intuitive, moisturizing your skin is one of the best things you can do for it, even if it's oily.
Actually, not using a daily moisturizer could potentially make your oily skin worse. Using the right moisturizer will allow you to:
- Improve your skin
- Enhance your skin tone and texture
- Cause fewer breakout
- Make your skin less oily
Your skin requires hydration. Your skin's hydration level is its water content (not oil content).
So, if your skin appears to be excessively oily, it's not because it's over-hydrated. Actually, maintaining well-hydrated skin improves your skin's elasticity and helps slow the aging process down. Plus, keeping oily skin well-hydrated can help to stop the cycle of overproduction and reduce excess sebum.
The right moisturizer will help to improve your hydration level and prevent further moisture loss. With the right ingredients, which you'll learn about below, a good moisturizer will help retain your skin's moisture and replenish the moisture you lose each day from showering or from cold air in the wintertime.
Not to mention, men's skin age eventually, just like women's. They get fine lines and wrinkles too. Using a good moisturizer will help reduce their appearance.
Men also shave. Shaving is a form of exfoliation. When you moisturize after you exfoliate, it can help soothe your skin and restore its protective barrier.
Tips for Men with Oily Skin
Here are some tips you can follow if you're a man with oily skin.
1. Use a Toner
Toners can help improve the overall tone and look of your skin. They also help with maintaining optimal skin health. The reason behind the name "toner" is because it works by helping your skin retain its healthy and natural skin tone that tends to become shadowed by excess skin oil and clogged pores.
2. Proper Cleansing
By properly cleansing your skin each day, it helps eliminate oils and dirt that build up naturally on your skin. Cleansing helps clear dead skin cells away and prevents clogged pores which often cause ingrown hairs and breakouts.
3. Choose the Right Moisturizer
Not all moisturizers are made the same. For instance, this hyaluronic & vitamin C serum is full of essential antioxidants and natural compounds that boost collagen. This moisturizer, which also works as a lightweight aftershave, helps your skin in numerous ways, including:
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
4. Look for Beneficial Ingredients
There are certain ingredients in skin care products you want to look for because they're beneficial to your skin. For instance, some ingredients particularly beneficial to your skin that you'll find in the right moisturizer and toner are:
- Green tea: Green Tea's natural astringents, like that found in this Green Tea & Lactic Toner, helps your skin keep a blemish-free, smooth texture.
- Black tea: Black tea offers tightening and de-puffing benefits for oily skin. It's rich in certain antioxidants known as tannins which help fight bacteria, protect your skin from environmental damage and nourish and hydrate your skin. It also de-puffs, sucks up moisture and firms your skin since its high in caffeine.
- Vitamin C: On contact, antioxidant-rich vitamin C goes right to work boosting the immune response of your skin immediately to environmental stressors and razor burn.
- Hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid is ideal for oily skin because it doesn't leave behind a heavy residue and it won't clog your pores. But it still offers you a good amount of moisture. Using a moisturizer with hyaluronic acid will often be enough to maintain balanced and hydrated skin. It helps to increase the moisture content of your skin and prevents water loss. It improves the texture of your skin and reduces fine lines without leaving behind a greasy feeling.
- Lactic Acid: Lactic Acid, which you'll find in this Triple Tea After Shave Toner, exfoliates your skin gently while reducing the look of wrinkles, fine lines and acne.
Bottom line, if you're struggling with oily skin, don't be afraid to moisturize your skin regularly. The right moisturizer will help balance and calm your skin as well as enhance your shave, without leaving that extra shine behind. Contact us at Himistry or browse our website to learn more about our highly-effective moisturizers, toners and other skincare products for men.