By now, we all know that eating a balanced diet and exercise are essential to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. But when it comes to choosing post-workout snacks that align with your health goals, it can be challenging to know what is best without going for the same thing day after day. For those interested in maximizing their fitness efforts, snacks that are tasty, portable, and have benefits for both the body and skin are attractive options.
So, what are some healthy snacks that will refuel your body and nourish your skin? Below we will share choices you can try, most of which can conveniently be stored in your gym bag.
12 Top Post-Workout Snacks for Skin and Body
After a good workout session, 'energy stores (glycogen) are depleted, muscle tissue is damaged, and fluids along with electrolytes are lost through sweat.' During the recovery period, your body is returning to a 'recovered' state where specific physiological manifestations occur, such as slowing your heart rate.
Experts suggest that the body needs the proper nutrients, especially the right sources of carbohydrates and protein, to enhance the effects of exercise, improve athletic performance, and restore energy. Skimping on nutrition can impair your body's ability to build and repair muscle, in addition to negatively impacting your skin's function and appearance. But choosing the right post-workout snacks will leave you looking and feeling great!
Nutritious Foods to Replenish the Body
Check out some of the varied selections recommended by training experts and dieticians to help you achieve your fitness goals.
- Yogurt – This creamy treat helps to restore and repair muscle tissue and is easy to transport. There are many types of yogurt to choose from, but a low-fat, Greek variety will give you the greatest amount of essential protein.
- Popcorn – Helpful for replenishing glycogen storage, popcorn is also a portable option. And it is a snack that can be customized with savory or sweet flavors like chocolate protein powder that can boost its potency as a recovery aid.
- Chocolate Milk – A combination of carbs and protein, this delicious beverage isn't just for kids. According to research, chocolate milk replenishes muscles, aids in hydration, and improves energy levels.
- Apples/Peanut Butter – This snack delivers a crunchy texture, sweetness, and an optimal amount of protein which is excellent for your muscles and increasing energy.
- Sardines (Fatty Fish) – Fish is not for everyone. Still, sardines are chock full of vitamins and minerals, including omega-3 fats, which are excellent for heart health. Try sprinkling on spices, diced tomatoes, onions, and garlic, enhancing the fishes' flavor and increasing its health profile.
- Hummus/Pita – This snack boasts both protein and carbs, great for keeping your body fueled. With so many hummus varieties that exist, you are sure to find one that suits your taste buds.
Healthy Foods for a Vibrant Complexion
Exercise is a good thing for your overall health, mental well-being, and even the appearance of your skin. When you exercise, it 'improves blood circulation, promotes collagen production, and increases oxygen and nutrient delivery to the skin.'
However, working out can also have adverse effects, especially if you neglect to implement a good post-workout routine that emphasizes natural ingredients in what you put in your body and on your skin. Exercising can cause certain skin conditions to flare up, and skin that is not clean can lead to breakouts. So, eat well and care for your skin with calming products that have gentle cleansing properties. And try these post-workout food choices that will keep your skin healthy.
- Avocado – This fruit contains the essential vitamins E and C, plus avocados are a powerhouse of healthy fats. The combination of these nutrients improves your skin's elasticity and promotes collagen production.
- Red/Yellow Peppers – These veggies contain a significant amount of vitamin C, which your skin will thank you for in the form of reduced wrinkles. So, grab some pepper slices and get to exercising!
- Sunflower Seeds – These tasty seeds are high in vitamin E, an antioxidant that can help combat damage to your skin's cells.
- Dark Chocolate – Chocolate lovers rejoice! Yes, the high antioxidant content in dark chocolate can potentially leave your skin more hydrated and reduce the appearance of wrinkles!
- Red Grapes – Another fruit to reach for post-workout are red grapes. Due to the compound resveratrol, a powerful antioxidant that fights the effects of aging.
- Walnuts – A good source of omega-3 fatty acids, walnuts can help reduce inflammation, improving your skin's appearance.
Whether you are someone who does intense workouts or are just embarking on your exercise journey, eating the right foods post-workout will help you get the most out of your fitness experience and maintain bright and healthy skin.
For more men's skincare tips, visit our HIMistry Naturals website.