Dry skin is the worst and it is not just an ailment that effects women, it's a man's issue too. Dry skin is often itchy and flaky and, depending on where on your body it is located, it can be downright embarrassing — think about that blotchy and inflamed look right after a clean facial shave! If you have been dealing with dry skin problems, read on to learn more about what causes it and how you can combat it.
Common Causes of Dry Skin
Dry skin can happen to anyone, at anytime, and normally does not mean you have an underlying health condition. Before you can combat your dry skin, the first step it to try to figure out its cause. Here are some common reasons why you may have dry skin:
- Dry Winter Weather — Not only do the temperatures outside plummet during the cold winter months, but the cold weather also brings with it cold dry air that can quickly suck the moisture right out of your skin. If you experience dry skin during Winter, it is most likely caused by dry air.
- Hot Summer Weather — Summer heat also creates the perfect conditions for dry skin, even if you live in an area that experiences high humidity. Heat absorbs moisture and this increases your chance for becoming dehydrated. Summer is also the most popular season for swimming, which means more exposure to the dry skin effects of chlorine and salt water.
- Hand Sanitizing — While hand washing and sanitizing are good for your overall health, all the extra soaps and alcohol-based gels remove oils and moisture from your skin leaving your hands to itch, flake, crack, and feel uncomfortable.
- Dehydration — Having dry skin is one of the first and most common ways that your body tells you that it needs more water. Dehydration can occur after doing an intense workout, completing labor intensive tasks, or by simply not taking in enough fluids while you go about your day.
- Medical Related Dry Skin — Dry skin can also occur as a result of a medical condition such as eczema or psoriasis, or as side effect of a medication used to treat other medical issues not related to dry skin.
- Shaving — While shaving actually aids in achieving healthier skin by removing surface dirt and dead cells, newly exposed skin can become temporarily dry right after completing a clean shave depending on the shaving products that are used.
What Can I Do to Combat Dry Skin?
So, now that you have a sense of what could be contributing to your dry skin, you may be wondering how to go about moisturizing it. In most cases, dry skin is easy to manage and just requires the right moisturizers to do the job. Just like a vehicle needs proper oil and lubricants to run at its optimal performance, your skin needs moisture to maintain its silky smooth appearance.
Here are some helpful ways you can give your skin a boost of moisture:
- Proper Hydration — Make sure you drink enough water throughout the day. This is the most cost-effective and healthiest way to keeping your body looking and feeling its best. It is important to increase your daily consumption of water if you work outside in the elements or have pumped up your workout routines.
- Natural Moisturizers — Skincare continues to be a booming industry that enjoys profits that exceed $30 billion dollars annually. Many of these "cure-all" skincare products contain chemicals and ingredients that most people can't pronounce, let alone know what they are. Use all-natural moisturizers to ensure you are only putting healthy ingredients on your skin.
- Wash Your Face and Body Often — Wash and exfoliate your face often to remove grime build-up and dead skin cells as well as add vitamins and minerals back into your skin.
- Shower After Swimming — If hitting the beach or local swimming pool is on your to-do list, be sure to shower right after enjoying your swim to rinse off salt and chlorine. The longer you wait to shower, the dryer your skin will become as a result.
- Invest in a Humidifier - When it becomes impossible to escape dry weather, a humidifier can help put moisture back into the air and alleviate some of your dry skin issues. Humidifiers come in a variety of sizes so you can place one in various rooms of your home.
At Himistry, we understand the skincare needs of men and work hard to create all-natural skincare and shaving products that are geared to the needs of men. Whether you are dealing with severely dry skin or would just like to try something new, you can be assured that our skincare line supports your healthy lifestyle and each product is only made with wholesome ingredients you do not need to be a scientist to recognize. We have expert consultants on hand to answer any of your skincare questions, so feel free to contact us today!